Council tax is worked out on the basis of two adults living at the address. If there is only one adult at the address for the purposes of council tax then you may receive a 25% discount on your bill.
For the purposes of calculating council tax, the following are not counted
- full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth trainees
- patients who live permanently in a hospital
- people who are being looked after in care homes
- people who have an enduring mental illness
- people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
- care providers, or careworkers working for low pay (usually for charities)
- people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
- people caring for someone who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18 years of age
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
- members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
- members of religious communities e.g. monks and nuns
- members of international organisations with headquarters in the UK, and their non-British spouses
- persons on whom diplomatic privileges and immunities are conferred
- persons 18 years of age for whom Child Benefit is payable
If all of the occupants fall into any of these groups then a 25 per cent discount or even a full exemption may apply.
A 50 per cent discount may be available for annexes in some limited circumstances. Please contact us for further details.
Discounts for empty properties
Discounts are also available if your property is empty.
|Uninhabitable properties||Eligible to receive Class D discount of 50%. This replaces the previous Class A Exemption.|
|Vacant properties that are unoccupied and unfurnished||Class C discount of 50% for three months. Replaces the previous Class C Exemption.|
|Medium term vacant properties- more than three months vacant||10% discount between 3 months and 2 years vacant|
|Long term vacant properties - more than two years vacant||150% council tax chargeable e.g. 50% premium|
Please note that unoccupied but furnished properties do not qualify for a discount.